Ep. 249 – Sugar Phobia, Fatphobia and Feeding Kids: An Interview with Virginia Sole-Smith – Part 2
April 10, 2023
Shanna and Laura continue the conversation with special guest Virginia Sole-Smith about how to approach feeding our children in a way that promotes confidence and body autonomy rather than deprivation, fatphobia, sugar phobia and diet culture. Virginia is the author of the upcoming book “Fat Talk: Parenting in the Age of Diet Culture” and the host of the “Burnt Toast by Virginia Sole-Smith” podcast. This is Part 2 of a two-part interview. To hear the first part of our interview with Virginia, listen to Episode 248: Diet Culture and Parenting: An Interview with Virginia Sole-Smith – Part 1.
Also, Laura reports on entering a very intense limit-setting phase with her two-year-old, and Shanna talks about how paying attention to her own sensory needs has helped her find grace in some of her parenting struggles. Finally, Shanna and Laura share their BFPs and BFNs for the week. Shanna’s kids are 4 and 7 years old, and Laura’s kids are 4 years old and 2 years old.
Want to get in touch? Send us an email, sign up for our monthly newsletter and follow us on social! Instagram, Facebook or TikTok. Also, join our Facebook Community Group for support and camaraderie on your parenting journey.
Check out some of our favorite things: Books. Gifts for babies and kids. Registry items.
Big Fat Positive: A Pregnancy and Parenting Journey podcast is hosted by Laura Birek and Shanna Micko and produced by Laura Birek, Shanna Micko and Steve Yager.
- "Fat Talk: Parenting in the Age of Diet Culture" by Virginia Sole-Smith Pre-order Virginia's new book now! It comes out on April 25th.
- Virginia's website Visit Virginia's website to learn more about Virginia and her work.
- Burnt Toast by Virginia Sole-Smith Subscribe to Virginia's Substack newsletter. You won't regret it!
- Burnt Toast Podcast Subscribe to Virginia's podcast to get in on "weekly conversations about how we dismantle diet culture and fatphobia, especially through parenting, health and fashion."
- "The Eating Instinct: Food Culture, Body Image, and Guilt in America" by Virginia Sole-Smith Get Virginia's first book for an excellent "exploration, both personal and deeply reported, of how we learn to eat in today’s toxic food culture."
- Virginia Sole-Smith on Instagram Follow Virginia on Instagram!
- Virginia Sole-Smith on TikTok Follow Virginia on TikTok!
- Girlfriend Collective Leggings One of Virginia's BFPs is these amazing leggings from Girlfriend Collective!
- Jeans Science Virginia's four-part series about jeans, as mentioned on this week's episode.
- Momwell Podcast Episode 123: Battling Sensory Overload as a Mom with Occupational Therapist Larissa Geleris Laura recommends this podcast episode on the topic of sensory input.
- Sensory Triggers for Moms and how to get a handle on them before you become “Angry Mom” This article from OT Holly helped Shanna understand some of her own sensory needs.
- You Need a Budget Shanna has been using this budgeting tool to get control of her family's finances, and she's really loving it.
This episode's sponsors:
Big Fat Positive: A Pregnancy and Parenting Journey is sponsored by BetterHelp. Join over 1 million people taking charge of their mental health. BetterHelp connects people with licensed, professional therapists in a safe online environment. BFP listeners get 10% off their first month.
Get the full studio experience at home with thousands of classes for body, mind, and spirit. Get 30 days free and 50% off an annual membership with code BFP (case sensitive).
Try EveryPlate, the more affordable meal kit delivery service. BFP listeners get high-quality produce and ingredients for less by clicking our special link and entering code BFP149 (pssst, copy/paste!).