Ep. 248 – Diet Culture and Parenting: An Interview with Virginia Sole-Smith – Part 1
April 3, 2023
Laura and Shanna welcome special guest Virginia Sole-Smith, author of the upcoming book “Fat Talk: Parenting in the Age of Diet Culture,” to talk about what diet culture is, how it affects us as parents, why we should not be encouraging weight loss in children, how to navigate the anti-fat bias present in the medical system (as a pregnant person and as a parent), and more. This is Part 1 of a two-part interview. Tune in next week to hear the rest of our conversation! Also, Shanna reports on her anxiety showing up in a very unexpected parenting situation, and Laura reports on taking her two- and four-year-olds to their yearly checkups at the pediatrician. Finally, Shanna and Laura share their BFPs and BFNs for the week. Shanna’s kids are 4 and 7 years old, and Laura’s kids are 4 years old and 2 years old.
Want to get in touch? Send us an email, sign up for our monthly newsletter and follow us on social! Instagram, Facebook or TikTok. Also, join our Facebook Community Group for support and camaraderie on your parenting journey.
Check out some of our favorite things: Books. Gifts for babies and kids. Registry items.
Big Fat Positive: A Pregnancy and Parenting Journey podcast is hosted by Laura Birek and Shanna Micko and produced by Laura Birek, Shanna Micko and Steve Yager.
- "Fat Talk: Parenting in the Age of Diet Culture" by Virginia Sole-Smith Pre-order Virginia's new book now! It comes out on April 25th.
- Virginia's website Visit Virginia's website to learn more about Virginia and her work.
- Burnt Toast by Virginia Sole-Smith Subscribe to Virginia's Substack newsletter. You won't regret it!
- Burnt Toast Podcast Subscribe to Virginia's podcast to get in on "weekly conversations about how we dismantle diet culture and fatphobia, especially through parenting, health and fashion."
- "The Eating Instinct: Food Culture, Body Image, and Guilt in America" by Virginia Sole-Smith Get Virginia's first book for an excellent "exploration, both personal and deeply reported, of how we learn to eat in today’s toxic food culture."
- Virginia Sole-Smith on Instagram Follow Virginia on Instagram!
- Virginia Sole-Smith on TikTok Follow Virginia on TikTok!
This episode's sponsors:
Big Fat Positive: A Pregnancy and Parenting Journey is sponsored by BetterHelp. Join over 1 million people taking charge of their mental health. BetterHelp connects people with licensed, professional therapists in a safe online environment. BFP listeners get 10% off their first month.
Get the full studio experience at home with thousands of classes for body, mind, and spirit. Get 30 days free and 50% off an annual membership with code BFP (case sensitive).
Try EveryPlate, the more affordable meal kit delivery service. BFP listeners get high-quality produce and ingredients for less by clicking our special link and entering code BFP149 (pssst, copy/paste!).