Ep. 205: Teaching Body Positivity to Your Kids
June 6, 2022
Laura and Shanna answer listener questions in the special segment “Checkin’ the Inbox,” covering the topics of getting pregnant while breastfeeding, instilling body positivity in your kids, how to introduce toddlers to their new siblings and more! Also, Laura reports on a very dramatic week with her kids, and Shanna talks about some hot goss at her three-year-old’s preschool. Finally, they share their BFPs and BFNs for the week. Shanna’s kids are 3 and 6 years old, and Laura’s kids are 3 years old and 15 months old.
- "Bodies Are Cool"* by Tyler Feder. Shanna and her girls love this book that teaches about body diversity and body positivity.
- "It's Not the Stork!: A Book About Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families and Friends"* by Robie H. Haris and Michael Emberley. Shanna likes this book for teaching her girls about human body parts and helping them feel comfortable in their own bodies. It's also great for teaching about how babies are made!
- "Your Whole Body: From Your Head to Your Toes, and Everything in Between!"* by Lizzie DeYoung Charbonneau and Misha Iver. Another fabulous book for normalizing and educating kids about all body parts, including genitals.
- "Your Body is Awesome: Body Respect for Children"* by y Sigrun Danielsdottir and Bjork Bjarkadottir. Another book Shanna likes for teaching her girls about body positivity.
- Burnt Toast by Virginia Sole-Smith Virginia's blog and podcast about "navigating diet culture and fatphobia, especially through health, fashion, and parenting" is an awesome resource for learning about how to teach body positivity to your kids.
- Oona Miller Hanson on Instagram Oona is an educator and parenting coach who focuses on "parenting without diet culture." She is a great resource for learning about the harms of diet culture, and she offers helpful advice about how to respond to parenting situations like if your child asks you, "Mom, am I fat?"
(*denotes affiliate link)
This episode's sponsors:
Big Fat Positive: A Pregnancy and Parenting Journey is sponsored by BetterHelp. Join over 1 million people taking charge of their mental health. BetterHelp connects people with licensed, professional therapists in a safe online environment. BFP listeners get 10% off their first month. ?
Get the full studio experience at home with thousands of classes for body, mind, and spirit. Get 30 days free and 50% off an annual membership with code BFP (case sensitive).